Virtual Square: all the virtuality you always wanted but you were afraid to ask
|VirtualSquare has a new design, a new codebase and new documentation. This WIKI will not longer be updated. Please refer to the new site (under development): http://wiki.virtualsquare.org
Welcome to Virtual Square wiki!
Here you'll find almost everything you need to know to get started using Virtual Square suite of tools and software. Remember that the software presented in this Wiki is produced by a research project and so the latest developments are extremely experimental.
Virtualsquare mailing list: virtualsquare (at) cs.unibo.it (click on the address to reach the mailing list info/subscribe page).
Virtual Square Disk Images
- VDE Basic Networking
- Umview with umfuse
- Umview networking: Umnet
- Running foreign code
- Virtually partitioned Virtual Disks
- Time/uname and other virtualities
- Remote command execution on umview with overlapped filesystem
- Port forwarding inside umview environment
- Creating VLANs with multiple vde switches
- Managing Fast Spanning Tree Protocol on vde networks
- VDE project on sourceforge
- View-OS project homepage at Sourceforge
- VirtualSquare Tools @ GitHub
- Virtual Square site: ideas of Evolution
- OS Zoo (a sibling project from the same team), a set of preinstalled imaged for Qemu. Download 'n run. It is also possible to test them live direcly in your browser.
Overview of tools and libraries
- SVG source available here.
Virtual Square Bibliography
Renzo Davoli: Fosdem2012 Slides
Renzo Davoli, Michael Goldweber (editors) VirtualSquare: Users, Programmers & Developers Guide (draft) Available at Lulu Book or here.
Renzo Davoli, Michael Goldweber View-OS: Change your View on Virtualization. Proc. of Linux Kongress, 2009 (slides)
Ludovico Gardenghi, Michael Goldweber and Renzo Davoli View-OS: A New Unifying Approach Against the Global View Assumption Lecture Notes in Computer Science Volume 5101/2008, Computational Science – ICCS 2008
Michael Goldweber, Renzo Davoli VDE: an emulation environment for supporting computer networking courses
ACM ITiCSE '08 Proceedings of the 13th annual conference on Innovation and technology in computer science education, 2008
Renzo Davoli, A poster about View-OS: A process with a ViewPoster at EuroSys2006
Renzo Davoli, UMview: View-OS implemented as a System Call Virtual Machine Poster at
7th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI '06)
Renzo Davoli, Michael Goldweber Virtual square (V2) in computer science education Proceedings of the 10th annual SIGCSE conference on Innovation and technology in computer science education (ITiCSE 2005),
Renzo Davoli, VDE: Virtual Distributed Ethernet Proc. of First International Conference on Testbeds and Research Infrastructures for the DEvelopment of NeTworks and COMmunities (TRIDENTCOM'05), pp. 213-220, 2005
Renzo Davoli, Virtual SquareProceedings of the First International Conference on Open Source Systems. 2005.